" Some days we paint with large bold strokes, like when someone finishes a book report or gets a piece of music ready for performing. Most of our days are softer in color. A little dab here a little dab there, following a rough draft, but allowing ourselves to paint outside the lines when we want too. "
~ Deborah Jean

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Passionate Teens


We all know teens feel things at a much higher intensity than we adults do. They are finding their way through so many " firsts" all the while tying to find ways to tune in to their own beat maker. 
Art and creative expression have always been first and foremost in our home education lifestyle. After ten years of crafting a home school style that is right for us, it is apparent that creative expression is the driving force for higher learning and development in both of our children. 

Music appreciation, writing and composing, are the strongest passion's in both of our children. Our daughter composes music for piano and writes lyrics too. If you have a composer in your midst, consider Sibelius 7 Professional Academic software. The academic version is available to teachers, faculty and home scholars who can prove they are legitimate by providing  a letter of approval or other proof to the company that they are in fact homeschooling. We were able to take advantage of this resulting in a savings of about $175.00.

 

 Our son has taken an interest in creating beats for rap music and writing inspirational lyrics. 

He was never much of a writer when he was younger so but  these days he doesn't go anywhere without his writing journal. To help him along in his musical journey, he researched and found the perfect " first " home recording system from a site called Musicians Friend which offers a wide range of recording software and equipment for the recording enthusiast.
Currently both children are taking outside classes in music. Our piano player takes private piano lessons and classical music studies and they both take a music producing class together at Carver Institute of ROCK.

  I have no doubt there are " learning " gaps in what we have covered  academically over the years. But one thing I am certain of. Neither of them will ever be UN- sure of what makes their heart go pitter -patter when it comes to having a real thirst for learning and creative expression.

What are your teens passionate about? How do you facilitate their dreams and passions? I'd love to hear from you!





9 comments:

  1. I am http://mazzoumemories.blogspot.com/2012/01/2012.html older sister. I thought I would say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb! I am giving you and this blog the Liebster Blog Award! It is wonderful the example you are for parents homeschooling. You lead your children as well as others with this blog. I love it admire you and wish I had homeschooled my girls.
    Stop by Hibiscus House and pick up your award.
    http://hibiscushouse1.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post...thank you for so much for sharing...blessings...soraya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post & Pics also. Thanks for sharing this information which is useful for all.

    php web development

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always impressed with parents who can successfully homeschool. Your kids sound smart and talented and I know a lot that comes from the parent - Y.O.U. :) My kids were homeschool for a year or two but only out of necessity (we were either in the middle of a move to a new town or one had to wait for the following year to be enrolled in a private school that didn't have room until the following year). My hubby is the smart one out of us two and he did a fantastic job. So, thank you for the nice comment you left on my New England Brown Bread post. I would love to make it in a can but I couldn't find the right size. Hubby still loved it and I look forward to making more. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words... homeschooling our kids has been a life changing experience for me... I've learned as much as they have and not just about school things, but life!

      Delete
  6. My children are all grown but they all have a passion for drawing my youngest be the best at it..she continues to progress where the other children and myself have let go... I'm glad your children are going toward it..My father wanted to take me to San Francisco Art school but I was to shy and didn't want to stay..so I told my dad no..and I'm sorry for it and have been for years...good progress..Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that it is wonderful that you are searching the creative side in your home-school students. I believe that everyone needs an outlet to let their artistic talents grow and be nurtured. Bravo!
    I just wanted to send out a warm and friendly thank you to you for following my blog. I am looking forward to being good blogging friends and sharing ideas that inspire our lives and creative paths.
    Have a glorious day :) Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Deb, its so awesome to hear about the paths your kids are taking. Eryn is a writer and landscaper! She is working on a book series now and a biography. Tell everyone we said hello :)

    April

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today! Id love to hear about your home school happenings too. I read and enjoy each and every comment so leave one for us all if you have the time!
Happy Creative Homeschooling
Deborah Jean