Whether you are just beginning to explore homeschooling or you are an " old pro ", there is much food for thought about the varied teaching philosophies and approaches to homeschooling. In addition, there's no shortage of curriculum's and learning materials to choose from which speaks volumes for how much the homeschooling movement has grown. For many homeschooling parents the choices can be overwhelming when trying to choose learning materials for their children. After all, every child is unique in how they gather and process information. This is one of the many joy's of homeschooling!
With a little strategic intuition you can CREATE a happy home and an enriching learning environment for YOUR whole family...
While knowing and understanding how your children learn is important, it is equally important to have realistic expectations of yourself as to how you will approach your homeschooling days. If you know you are not big on routine, or high on structured text book learning, you will have a hard time selling your children on that kind of program too. Don't panic! Just live! In other words, learning happens all the time. While you are busy reading late into the night then lying awake the rest of it worrying, your children are growing and learning anyway... Finding your style takes time. In the mean time...
- Share your interests and passions with your children. Do you love to read, draw , sing, paint, ride horses, garden, watch baseball, sew, knit, run, swim,?
- Read allowed to your children daily.
- Go to the library and let them check out books they like. Tuck in a few you want to introduce as well.
- Plan fun field trips! Visit nearby nature centers, art galleries, natural history museums, science museums,
- Schedule time with family and friends along the way. Invite grandparents to science fairs, art shows,music recitals and important ceremonies or award nights for your children
- Volunteer, care for animals, garden, create, dance, make music, grocery shop... you get the idea!
LEARNING and LIFE go together!